Warning: preg_match(): Compilation failed: invalid range in character class at offset 34 in /home/customer/www/ssqgroup.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/nextgen-gallery/products/photocrati_nextgen/modules/nextgen_basic_tagcloud/package.module.nextgen_basic_tagcloud.php on line 182
Location: Prestonpans, East Lothian, Scotland
Architect: East Lothian Council Property Services, Haddington
Slate Used: SSQ Ultra Riverstone® Grey roofing slate
Prestonpans is a small seaside town on the southern shore of the Firth of Forth and lies a few miles east of Edinburgh. Its red sandstone library opened in 1905 thanks to a generous gift of £1,500 from well-known philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Just over a century later the Category B-listed library has reopened its doors after a £780,000 refurbishment that has transformed its facilities and increased the range of services it can offer the local community.
The project added a heavily insulated, 130m2 timber-framed, timber-clad extension to the rear of the existing building, the design following the same roof section of the original which consequently influenced the extension’s overall design. To enhance the association between new and old, Riverstone® Grey roofing slates were chosen as they closely matched those used on the original roof. In addition, SSQ Riverstone® floor tiles were chosen for use in the main entrance ‘draft lobby’.
The project won the ‘Architecture Meets Practicality’ category of the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professional’s biennial Public Library Building Awards 2007 that recognise the best libraries opened to the public and has since been nominated for a Scottish Civic Trust Award.